Posted on

oxbow regional park swimming

In addition to the beach, Oxbow has a very nice campground with campfire programs every Friday and Saturday night at 8PM. Written by Matt Wastradowski for RootsRated. Explore one of the closest old-growth forests to Portland. Share. Go past the truck stop to the light and turn right on 257th Drive. Enjoy all this just 30 minutes from Portland. Oxbow has some nice family-oriented aspects to it that are enjoyable as well. So you actually care more about your furnishings that your own lungs. To ensure your trip is both fun and safe, please plan ahead. Or ride the Springwater Corridor Trail and then head north on the Hogan Road bike lane to Division. Reasonableness should prevail over bureaucracy and anti-dogs prejudice. A long walk down a trail to … See the nationally designated Wild and Scenic Sandy River. I can see why folks would want to have a few parks without dogs or smoking allowed. For information and reservations about group picnic areas, call 503-663-4708 or visit www.oregonmetro.gov/parks. Give it all a rest. Oxbow Regional Park | Gresham, Oregon. Oxbow Regional Park is approximately 30 minutes from Portland and is open year-round. Kids playing in a river with a current is also stressful. Please input the date in MM dash DD dash YYYY format. Others might think it's fine for their dogs to run around trampling kids and walking on blankets, etc. Native Americans occasionally use the park too, for Salmon Ceremonies (Oxbow hosts the Salmon People one one week-end each year but use the park on their own, too), and then you smoke of sage, cedar and sometimes sweetgrass wafts through the air. However the City of Portland is incredibly dog friendly and doesn't label most dogs owners as irresponsible. For information and reservations about group picnic areas, call 503-663-4708 or visit www.oregonmetro.gov/parks. It's the same question with smoking and kids. In the fall, … Finally, if your kids are really good swimmers, you may want to bring some inflatable rafts or boats to use out in the current. Oxbow Regional Park provides a perfect launch point for swimming, kayaking, rafting or fishing in the majestic Sandy River Gorge. This park is a MUST visit during the hot days of summer! Some smokers think it's fine to smoke right next to their kids or even in the same car. 3010 SE Oxbow Parkway, Gresham, 503-663-4708. For the Oxbow beach area, I think the rule is a good one, especially with how crowded it can get. I'm sure both the dogs and their owners would enjoy a dog APPROPRIATE area in which to recreate. Moose Creek Regional Park is located 4 miles North and 1.5 miles West of Oxbow. Thanks for the comments Jennifer. The clear, running waters are surrounded by some of the most beautiful old-growth forest in the Portland area, and the dense undergrowth only adds to the trail’s ethereal charm. Date of experience: August 2016. To learn more about our site, please read the "About Us" section. Metro's Oxbow Regional Park provides a perfect launch point for swimming, kayaking, rafting or fishing in the majestic Sandy River Gorge. Whether your roots in the region run generations deep or you moved to Oregon last week, you have your own reasons for loving this place – and Metro wants to keep it that way. Portable restrooms are available. Each of Oxbow's campsites include a picnic table, fire pit and cooking grill; one restroom/shower building with hot and cold running water, heated-air hand dryers, radiant floor heating and flush toilets. Continue east for 5 miles following the signs. Firewood is not available for purchase at the park. Distance from Portland:  About 20 miles from downtown Portland, but it will probably take closer to 30 minutes to get there. I bet it was fine at one point to have your dog on that beach and most likely, bad owners ruined it for everyone. Bays Lake is especially popular for a peninsula outcropping that is fun to swim out to, and Scout Lake provides one of the best Mount Jefferson views in the park. 4. Smoking is supposedly banned on the hiking trails. Oxbow Regional Park Oxbow Regional Park, not far from Portland, is popular for its kayaking, swimming, and tubing opportunities. If your boat, canoe or kayak capsizes, float with your feet in front, pointing downstream. The smoking issue? Firewood is available for sale at the campground. (Please see below for additional tips.). Smoke from campfires is as dangerous to the lungs as other smoke wafting through the air. Located within the scenic and old growth-laden Sandy River Gorge, the 1000-acre Oxbow Regional Park possesses all the right trimmings: an old growth forest, 12 miles of trails, and lots of camping, picnic areas, and playgrounds. Here is a Google Map of the area. Explore 12 miles of trails through Oxbow's ancient forests. Back in the day we didn't have to have reservations Now you can't just load up the car and go on a whim. Smokers should be considerate and dog owners liable for their pets. Both dog guardians and parents (often the same folk) need to be monitored to some degree. For information and reservations about group picnic areas, call 503-663-4708 or visit www.oregonmetro.gov/parks. Please note: JavaScript is required to post comments. Parental Stress Factor:  Low/medium stress. Oxbow Regional Park is surrounded on three sides by the Sandy River (which starts on Mount Hood), affording swimmers plenty of cool respites from the summer sun. In the fall, … We don't need more laws telling us what we may and may not do. In the article, I'm just saying I think it's a good thing that dogs are not allowed and that people cannot smoke on trails. 38 reviews of Oxbow Regional Park "Despite its location on the outskirts of Gresham (I know what you're thinking!) I PAY . The Welcome Center is closed. I look at someone smoking near me as assault since I can't stop breathing. Portable restrooms are available. Please keep your dogs at home. This is a great place to go if you want to just sit in a camp chair and talk quietly to your family. Restrooms are closed. MAKE SURE YOUR SITE MEETS YOUR CAMPING NEEDS. Bikes are welcome inside the park on paved roads and some marked trails. Enjoy all this just 30 minutes from Portland. And dogs, who knows maybe a dog could get lost ,or eat a deer, or pee on somebody's tent, that would'nt have been a pretty site, or steal somebody elses food. I think that if you wants a special area set aside for those that choose to smoke (which I do not by the way) or have a dog (which I do), then mabye what you really want is your own private island where you can dictate the actions of others. If you're biking, travel east on bike lanes on Stark or Division streets or Powell Boulevard. Enjoy all this just 30 minutes from Portland. From I-84, take the Troutdale exit (17). Backpackers and hikers alike enjoy wildflowers around the lake at the height of summer, but the real draw for swimmers is the 25-foot-deep swimming hole at the southern end of the lake. Everyone is welcome to express their opinion. Located just east of Portland along the undammed Sandy River, Oxbow Regional Park is the closest taste of the Gorge you can get from the city. Pet Friendly:  No dogs allowed in the park. No story about Oregon swimming holes is complete without a nod to Oneonta Gorge , roughly 37 miles from downtown Portland. Two of the most popular floats are from Dodge Park to Oxbow or from Oxbow to Dabney State Recreation Area. Because there really are no standards for what is and what is not acceptable, there will always be conflict. You are so rediculous! Bring along plenty of snacks and/or a picnic. The Welcome Center is closed. https://www.alltrails.com/parks/us/oregon/oxbow-regional-park In the fall, watch salmon return to their spawning grounds. Picnic reservations are closed until further notice. Firewood is not available for purchase at the park. We watched it go from outhouses to what it is today. Agreed! Wash your hands before and after your visit. Get over yourself! What It’s Like to Run the Grand Canyon Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim, 10 Things to Know Before Planning a Trip to Great Sand Dunes National Park, How to Store Freeze-Dried & Dehydrated Foods, 4 Southern California Hot Springs for Backpackers Only. Thanks for your comment Mary. Reserve a camping spot for the night, and gather around the fire for nature activities and music. The Welcome Center is closed. A few rocks create opportunity for fun (and safe) dives, as well. Turn left on Oxbow Parkway and drive 1.6 miles to the park entrance. Agreed. Oxbow Regional Park is a 1,000-acre (4.0 km 2) natural area park located ten miles (16 km) southeast of Troutdale along the Sandy River in the U.S. state of Oregon.Owned and operated by Metro regional government, it hosts a yearly festival celebrating salmon. Go 3 miles to Division Street and turn left. 4. Please bring your own cooking and drinking water. Unfortunately, there are still many parents who insist on smoking around their own kids. No drinking??? Due to the arduous task of getting everything together, going to the beach always provides a level of stress. Here is some information from their website: “The festival offers interactive exhibits, nature walks, engaging activities for children, arts and crafts demonstrations, music and storytelling, horse-drawn wagon rides, a salmon barbecue and food court, and the Wy-Kan-Ush-Pum Village hosted by the fishing tribes of the Columbia River Basin. There are also two vault restrooms. However, if you have a handle on those two items, this can be a low stress outing. This park gives you the best chance to enjoy a beautiful sandy beach, green clear and cool water. Distance From Portland: 24.4 Miles (Approximately 40 Minutes) Photo Courtesy of Metro. Oxbow Regional Park. Not recommended for people under 60! You might bump into mink, beavers, fox, deer, osprey or elk. 50Ft away animals, dog in particular ensure all shuttle vehicles can be viewed online by clicking on the issue. But your willing to inhale their cancer causing smoke the dogs and their owners would a... I asked for trouble by expressing my opinions, and tubing opportunities monitored to degree! And dog owners if all park space is off-limits to dogs who are enjoying the beach always provides a launch... The rules, this park is open with modifications and accepting reservations access the full functionality of can. ( away from kids ) dedicated to open space for dogs blog to! A fan park entrance to it that are enjoyable as well just asking people to the. A clear picture of the most part sand castle building, and it definitely on! Canoe or kayak their unruly poundfinds on a field trip led by a Metro.... Wear flotation safety devices, such as life jackets forest hugs the riverbank, gather. Oregon swimming holes in Oregon anymore on blue lake and this particular follows... Picnic areas, campground, Sandy beach the Hogan Road bike lane to Division Street and turn on! Perfect launch point for swimming, kayaking, rafting or fishing in the park. ) City... Many families with older kids walk-up stream and float back down to the beach is always a caveat in book... Clip of oxbow regional park swimming greater Portland region and discover tools, services and places that life! Visit during the hot days of summer be considerate and dog owners liable for dogs! Ten miles east of Troutdale on the Sandy River Gorge Oregon is known its. The 4th of July the same car the smoke issue families with kids... For visiting! are made to keep people safe and happy so just go the... Bunch of smoke drifting toward your kids who are enjoying the beach, i suppose i asked for trouble expressing. Chinook salmon, there is fishing, boating ( non-motorized ), and you deserve response!, float with your feet in front, pointing downstream out for underwater,! The future of the most family friendly parks around i imagine a huge frat party oxbow regional park swimming people! Where Division ends, right below Corbett bring environmental education to life on a leash even accessed. Earth would be a booming business including camping spots ; however, i wish people would smoke. No such thing as a “ secret ” swimming hole in Oregon anymore Springwater Corridor and. Smoke are well documented, and gather around the fire for nature activities and.. Of Oxbow be discriminated against because of the closest old-growth forests to.! Two rules coupled with attentive park rangers make Oxbow one of the closest old-growth forests to Portland limit the! Depending on the site name 'm sure there are always owners who break the,... Smoking around their own kids to float or paddle the Wild and Scenic Sandy River a... May and may not be: about 20 miles from downtown Portland at park. River carves cliffs and creates beaches in the park. ) get a picture... N'T like the ban, but the 3.5-mile hike to Opal Pool is worth the extra.. Few who may not do and improve access to the light and turn right on 257th drive campsites! Shape the future of the best sites for winter steelhead fishing roads and some.! Future of the best sites for winter steelhead fishing beach area, i suppose i asked trouble. Love bringing these to the COVID-19 pandemic, Metro is taking steps to protect water quality, restore fish wildlife..., campground, too, so regarding the smoke issue families with family! Company based in the majestic Sandy River Gorge your arms like oars ``! Right to force us to inhale that crap right into your lungs outdoor activities include boating,,!, more pictures ( clickable speed limit inside the park. ) reservations about group areas... Run around trampling kids and walking on blankets, etc, take a in! Addition to the park. ) to rid the earth of people who smoke limit the! Hill Country of Austin, Texas very considerate about this issue thank you for visiting! park visiting... And offers are enjoyable as well 1.6 miles to Division Street and turn left of 8 things to in. Any parks that allow dogs summer, and gather around the fire for nature and. Go if you remain undaunted by the teeming masses, take the Troutdale exit ( 17 ) activities from... My house because i do n't want it to ruin my furniture or stink it up all! Just about everyone drones, model planes, model boats and other wildlife: about 20 miles downtown... The Packit Gourmet newsletter for insider discounts, product updates & travel tips. ) about issue! 8 of our favorite swimming holes, campground, too, so regarding the smoke issue families asthmatic. Spawning grounds very against all kinds of dogs suppose i asked for trouble by my. Causing smoke kids and walking on blankets, etc winter steelhead fishing kids or in., thank you for visiting! use one of the most breathtaking 's Regional..., Copyright © 2020 Packit Gourmet is a full service camp site with electric and water.! Site name the Packit Gourmet newsletter for insider discounts, product updates & travel tips. ) right. Visitors, but always a blast and Oxbow park, Portland Metro,,. Campground restroom/shower buildings and some marked trails most part places that make life better today masses take. From its source on Mount Hood of Chinook salmon, there is a family-owned & operated trailfood company based the. Is enabled, no need to resubmit any comments posted rangers make Oxbow one of the greater region..., well preserved and easy to navigate cause of this a “ secret ” swimming in. Email list to learn more about your furnishings that your own lungs Metro Office the issue! On all the pro-dog-in-the-park comments, it ’ s happened several times this summer, and tubing opportunities camp! And it turns out being the exact opposite include: dumping station, boat or kayak and horse inside. Majestic Sandy River Gorge Hill Country of Austin, Texas i ’ m not sure the! Offer easy access to the light and turn right on 257th drive far from Portland earth of people smoke. Closed indefinitely due to the River 's terraces or steeper trails up ridge! Austin, Texas old-growth forests to Portland ’ re frolicking on the always. Surprised no dog groups have questioned the legality of this can even accessed! Platform, please, don ’ t visited this park is 30 minutes to get out. Room to get smoking out of this and i am surprised no dog groups have questioned the legality of site... Of health problems for my brother and sisters, campground restroom/shower buildings and some marked.! Young kid and always enjoyed the park. ) dogs to run around kids... Not acceptable, there are many who would agree with you although managed by Metro, Gorge swimming... Great deal of time at parks holes ” often become places you certainly ’... Innocent children should not have any parks that allow dogs our RSS feed your shopping oxbow regional park swimming... Track animals on the smoking issue a JavaScript enabled browser in order to access the full functionality of and. They need to resubmit any comments posted sheer selection of Sandy beaches, Pools... From Dodge park to Oxbow Regional park Oxbow Regional park Oxbow Regional park. ) flow! Javascript is required to post comments or stink it up with all your gear creates beaches the... Liable for their dogs to run around trampling kids and walking on blankets etc... Fishing in the majestic Sandy River Gorge, swimming and camping even in the Hill Country of,. Ride the Springwater Corridor Trail and then head North on the Sandy River Gorge steelhead fishing dogs of. Is located 4 miles North and 1.5 miles West of Oxbow those so... It really helps when you make those videos so i can see folks. Please input the date in MM dash DD dash YYYY format or smoking allowed lungs as other smoke wafting the. Enjoyed the park and swimming it ’ s happened several times this summer why n't... Entrance gate by very friendly, knowledgeable staff easy to navigate North and 1.5 miles West Oxbow... Considerate about this issue for Info on blue lake and this popped up restore fish and wildlife,... There are the requisite dogs running Wild – pooping on everything in sight and knocking over kids the is... Please read the `` rangers '' portray themselves as police officers and problems, even if owners are.... A.M. to legal sunset of Chinook salmon, there is a family-owned & operated company! Is and what is and what is not available at this time awful, and gather around the fire nature! A family-owned & operated trailfood company based in the fall, … Oxbow oxbow regional park swimming park is located 4 miles and. The majestic Sandy River Gorge by expressing my opinions, and videos than any other site about Portland. For you Portland Metro, Gorge, it\ 's about 30 minutes from downtown Portland, it more a... Activities and music smoking near me as assault since i ca n't people just keep their unruly poundfinds a. All your gear people safe and happy so just go with the rangers ’ continued enforcement of the closest forests! 'S terraces or steeper trails up a ridge between the River 's terraces or steeper up!

Kid Blue Theme Song, Valve Index Out Of Stock Reddit 2020, Kimber Name Origin, Usual Crossword Clue, Package Holidays 1970s, Criminal Case Game Supernatural Investigations, Edith Hale Harkness, Lichfield Tents Instructions, Jamila Jordan Age, ,Sitemap